| Picture from June 22, 2020. Location: My room |
While I presented on being haafu in Japan, there is a lot more to be said regarding both ethnic and racial diversity as well as the simple concept of "being different". While I have resigned myself to be a perpetual foreigner in my own country, that does not stop people from asking certain questions or making certain assumptions about me. However, what I specifically want to consider here is my hair.
I change my hair color frequently, the bolder colors I've tried including bright red, deep green, mint, purple, and more. That makes me stand out even more than just "looking different" in terms of my height or facial features. While I certainly do not dye my hair for anyone other than myself, I am fully aware of the effect my dyed hair has on society.
In Tokyo—especially places like Harajuku—it is not too rare to encounter people with brightly dyed hair, both foreigners and Japanese alike. There, I often get compliments on my hair. However, when I go to visit my grandparents in Ibaraki or go into more residential areas, I get dirty looks. People avoid me, perhaps intimidated by the combination of my slightly taller-than-average height paired with the bright hair.
Why is this? There could be a myriad of reasons, but there is certainly the concept of conformity in Japan. One must "fit in", as was illustrated in some of the readings on early socialization and education. Individualism is not good, though individuality is encouraged. Being too "different" and "standing out" is generally not a good thing. Wearing school uniforms and following certain norms is simply expected. Fashion trends are often followed very closely; when fishnet tights are "in", they are very much "in". Going out into Tokyo, one could easily pick up whatever fashion item is popular at the time.
There is certainly a tendency for Japanese people—especially younger people—to want to fit in and not stand out much (especially in terms of appearance). Having bright red hair would probably be an issue, in that sense. I have been told many times (by younger Japanese people) that they wish they could dye their hair like mine. When I ask them why they can't, they either say it is not allowed (school rules) or they aren't confident that it would look good on them. Compared to the US where individuality reigns, people are more scared to express themselves here. Appearance ultimately does not matter, and I hope that with time, there will be more people expressing themselves the way they want, whether it be personality, fashion, make-up, or something else.
440 words

No comments:
Post a Comment